Friday 24 July 2009

Baking.....but i lost the pictures :-(

Poor Hannah is very upset as today she baked her very first pizza, and then i lost all the photo's in transfer! Sorry Hannah :-)

Anyway, i promised i'd tell you all what we did so here goes! First we chopped up lots of vegetables to roast, then while they were cooking Hannah mixed up the pizza base dough. She had great fun kneading the dough, and the kitchen got very floury lol. Then she rolled out the dough, spread tomato paste on it and topped it with roasted veg and cheese. It was the best dinner ever! 

We also baked some really nice spelt bread while we were cooking, and it came out surprisingly well with a nice light texture and flavour.  We will be baking with spelt again :-)

Luckily i did manage to take another picture of the loaf before it was eaten!

4 comments:

Rae said...

Oh Hannh; isn't it frustrating when photos get lost like that? Anyway, from your Mum's lovely descirption I think I can imagine JUST how wonderful your pizza looked and I definately think that if I close my eyes I can smell it.
You are so clever!

The bread looks wonderful too. I'd love the recipe if you don't mind sharing it as Verona like spelt bread too, but I'm not as good as you and your Mum at baking bread.

Do you think you could give me some advice on how to bake nice bread?

Susie said...

Thank you very much, i'm glad you like what we cooked. It tasted really yummy. love from Hannah xxx

The recipe was really easy Rae, it's from Doves Farm -
Ingredients500g/1lb
White Spelt Flour or Wholegrain Spelt Flour
1/2tsp Salt
1tsp Quick Yeast
1tsp Sugar - we used honey instead
300ml/10floz Warm Water
1tbsp Vegetable Oil

Method
In a large bowl mix together the flour, salt, quick yeast and sugar.
Add the water and roughly mix it into the flour.
While the dough is still lumpy add the oil and knead well until it feels smooth and pliable.
Leave the dough covered with a tea towel, in a draught free place, for it to double in size. (This should take about an hour).
Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead the dough firmly for several minutes.
Shape the dough and put it into an oiled 1kg/2lb bread tin or place it on an oiled baking sheet.
Cover with a clean tea towel and leave dough to rise for about 25 minutes in a warm place.
Bake in a preheated oven 35/40 minutes.


Oven Temperature
220°C/Fan200°C/425°F/Gas 7

Hannah says to make it taste really nice you have to talk to it while you knead it and ask it to taste yummy :-)
September x

Rae said...

Thank you! I think talking to it is a fine idea; just like we do to our plants!

I'll have a go this week; I've just ordered myself a new baking tin, so I shall try this recipe. Making my own bread is something I'm desperate to master :)

lynn said...

That bread looks yummy Hannah!
I have been making spelt bread in my breadmaker and it comes out nothing like yours (Finn still likes it though)....I think I will have to stop being lazy and try making some you way!
We put some pumpkin seeds ans linseeds in ours and we are going to try a fruity version too!

lynn and Finn x