Friday 3 February 2012

A Visit To Charles Dickens Birthplace Museum


On February 7th it will be the 200th anniversary of Charles Dickens birth, and his birth place is right here in Portsmouth. So, yesterday Hannah and I met with two other homeschooling families we are friends with and went to visit his birthplace museum.

It is a small 3 story house in the centre of Portsmouth, and has been recreated to look as it would have done in 1812.


The Dining Room
The Parlour
This was Charles Dickens' crib.
The Bedroom where he was born.
Each room has information boards - here is Hannah reading about the bedroom.

We came across a maid in the attic!
And Hannah tried on a washmaids cap and apron!The children really enjoyed seeing around the house, and all chose some resources to buy in the shop to do next time we all get together.

4 comments:

Heather O'Steen Photography said...

How exciting!

The Adventurer said...

I didn't know about this museum. We just finished up the Victorian era but I may have to add another field trip. I love seeing things like this.

jmommymom said...

That's wonderful. I love living history museums.

Blossom Barden (NorthLaurel) said...

Neat!! I'd love to see that! We are much closer now than we've ever been (we are in OH). I thought it was funny (and neat) that the plaque was put in place the month and year I was born. Great photos and it looked like Hannah enjoyed herself :)